Friday, February 6, 2009

The Virtues of Protective Styling

Inspired by Fleurtzy at Texture Playground  a few weeks ago, I decided to wear my hair in protective styles for the rest of the winter, until my birthday in mid-March. I succeeded in wearing my hair in twists for two weeks before I punked out and wore a twist out for a week and then a wash and go for almost a week. Last night, I decided to get back on the bandwagon.
I clarified my hair with a 2:1 mix of water to apple cider vinegar to which I added a touch of jojoba oil. I conditioned with TRESemmé Deep Moisture Conditioner (not my favorite, but the 32 oz bottle was on sale for about $3). I used the Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizing conditioner as a leave in (it was also on sale for about $3.50). I then twisted my hair in relatively large two strand twists using the Wen Sweet Almond Mint styling creme and sealed using my homemade oil concoction (more on this later). Finally, I curled the ends of most of my twists using really small slotted perm rods. I covered my hair with my satin bonnet and went to bed. I'm going to try to wear these twists until maybe next Wednesday, but they are already starting to look pretty fuzzy.
I'm really dedicated to growing my hair out and keeping it protected from the harsh Massachusetts winter, but it's hard for me to stick to protective styling for two major reasons: 
  1. I love playing in my hair (though manipulation is not good for growth)
  2. I have a limited repertoire or protective styles (namely, two strand twists).
My first problem is avoided easily enough, but I don't think my hair is long enough yet to bun, and I definitely need to pick up some new protective styles if I'm going to make it through the winter.
Until next time,
Keep it Happy and Healthy
~t

No comments:

Post a Comment