Monday, February 23, 2009

The Development of Routine

So, about a week and a half ago, right after I decided to give up on any type of formal protective style challenge, I put my hair in twists. . . the irony of this has not escaped me. 
I decided that my hair needed a bit of TLC, so I gave it the spa treatment. Also, I'm trying to work out a hair regimen, and I needed to figure out how long it takes to do all the things I need to do to my hair.  
 First, I have to say that for some reason, I  had been extremely resistant to an idea that I picked up over on Mane and Chic. I have a lot of very thick hair that tends toward tangling and is starting to get quite long and is really to much to handle all at once. But, I thought that parting my hair in four separate sections would be a lot of work and wouldn't help. I was so wrong. I jump in the shower, throughly wet my hair, make a part down the middle both ways, secure with "Ouchless" hair ties, and I'm good to go. When I part my hair in four sections and deal with each section individually, it makes the whole "hair doing" process SO much quicker and easier. 
Anyway, I shampooed using Carol's Daughter Tui Herbal Shampoo. I thought about diluting the shampoo, but I hadn't actually washed my hair in awhile and I knew I was going to deep condition after, so I just used it straight. After the shampoo, I conditioned and detangled using Nature's Gate Jojoba Conditioner. I then used a completely home made deep conditioner inspired by the ladies over at black girl with long hair. I left the deep conditioner on for 1.5-2 hours, and then rinsed with some varied conditioners I had lying around because I didn't like the way the deep conditioner made my hair smell. 
I took A LOT of care twisting my hair, and it came out looking really great (I failed to take pictures). I used the Giovanni's Direct Leave in Conditioner and my homemade concoction to moisturize. I combed each section and twisted in medium sized sections and then smoothed down flyaways and sealed my ends with some more of my homemade moisturizer. I wore my twists for a week moisturizing every couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment